Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Fireworks


This morning we went to visit my grandmother, and I brought her a quilt. She's accumulating quite a collection of Fabric Mutt originals -- every time she sees something new that she likes, she asks if I can make her a quilt just like it. When she was asking for a new lap quilt last month, I showed her the Thimbleblossoms quilt patterns that had just been released, and she immediately went for Camille's Fireworks pattern. These blocks are not hard to put together, just a bit time consuming, but the final result is really beautiful. I used Splendor 1920 for the fabrics -- gorgeous prints.


When I put the blocks together at the end, it was a little busy, so I added a grey stripe (for some reason it looks almost like a soft brown here) to break things up a bit. I don't remember what shade of Kona this is - I picked it up at my local quilt shop -- but I decided to use it for the binding too. Normally I hand sew the binding on my quilts, but lately I seem to be in a time crunch for so many projects that I've been attaching the binding entirely by machine more often. There's pluses and minuses to both techniques -- in fact, you can check out a great post about that topic here.


The back is all one piece of Azure Decodence. I love the colors in this collection -- it all has such a great vintage look to it. There is so much detail in these designs, and I start to appreciate it even more as I work with the pieces of fabric to assemble the blocks.

So last week Grandma got a look at the Heather Ross quilt that I made for the girls, and guess what she wants me to make for her next? That's right.

Is this the best hobby in the world or what?

8 comments:

  1. Heidi,
    I love that quilt! I had not seen that pattern until today and this is twice now, maybe that is a sign I should make one! lol.... Any excuse to make a great quilt!
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your grandma sounds like my mom! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it turned out beautifully! And yay for a Grandma that adores what you make and wants more! That's the ultimate compliment :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great, what a lucky grandmother x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is beautiful! I'm excited to see the Heather Ross one you are going to make for her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sound of your grandma and your quilt is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous! I just sewed my first quilt this weekend - all I have left is the binding. I'm so excited to have it completed! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...