Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Quilt Market Sewing: Handcrafted


The Handcrafted collection by Alison Glass is really as beautiful as they say it is. As a rule, I admit that I'm not so into anything approaching the category of "batiks," but she makes it work by keeping the designs simple and the colors brilliantly saturated. The fabric weight is perfect for garments and quilts, but Alison (who is, by the way, just as lovely as her fabric) asked me to make a few bags for her market booth. I made a Malibu Satchel and two variations on my Nora Clutch. The prints are paired with pieces of chambray by Andover, and I love the way they work so well together. I bought a layer cake of the collection after sewing up these samples, and I'm hoping to make a quilt before the year is out.

I always have mixed emotions when Quilt Market ends. Following all the fun on Instagram is exciting and inspiring, but it's also a relief to wrap things up and settle back into the pleasure of everyday sewing again. After an insanely busy October, I feel a bit like a child who has finished her school work and is ready to play...

6 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous! I want to make some just like these now

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fabulous. I am crushing so hard on Alison Glass at the moment. These are probably the only batiks I would ever consider using (although you can guarantee that now I've put that in print I'll make a traditional batik quilt at some stage!) - the colours are just so fabulous. Enjoy your well earned "break" (although I'm pretty sure there'll be no rest for you!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I detest batiks. But I LOVE these!! Heidi, you are so creative. I thoroughly enjoy every single project that you post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so different from any batiks I have seen here, even though they are actually made in Indonesia! There are some amazingly different batiks available here though - I am not a fan of traditional batik but I think people don't realise how diverse the method really is. Love your Nora Clutches especially!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your samples, they are so beautiful! I hope you don't mind me asking, but what colour is the shot fabric on your satchel? I have been asked to repair a much loved floor pillow that has shot silk (now worn through) as part of it's feature and it's exactly the colour you have used! I am looking for Andover chambray after I finish this (the silk is not really hard-wearing enough), but if you can remember the colour, that would be amazing :) No worries if not though, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have just found it! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...